_61352010_664-1Concerns over failed attempts to secure the future of the Wrexham Remploy factory will be raised by the town’s MP with the UK government.  Ian Lucas is to meet the disability minister after the Remploy site became one of six closed this year in Wales, with others earmarked for closure.

He claimed ministers resisted takeover because they wanted to sell the site to get a “big fat cheque”.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) denied the claim.

Disability Employment, based in Stoke-on-Trent, wants to use the Wrexham site to fulfil an order for kitchen and shower units and provide jobs for the redundant workers.

However, Mr Lucas has accused the UK government of deliberately thwarting takeover attempts.

He is exploring the possibility of the company buying equipment from the factory and starting operations on another Wrexham site.

He said the UK government “can see a big fat cheque coming to help the chancellor’s finances when the factory site is sold for some other development.

“If they sell the site, it will bring extra capital receipts for the Treasury.”

The DWP said: “The accusation by Mr Lucas that government is looking to fill its own pockets is simply not true.

“Our priority throughout this entire process has been to safeguard jobs, which is why we are offering a wage subsidy of up to £6,400 per disabled employee to encourage interested parties to come forward with bids to keep the Remploy businesses going.

“Decisions to accept or reject proposals to take over the running of businesses are for the Remploy board to make, and they have been working with independent experts to look into the viability of each bid.”

Mr Lucas is due to meet Disability Minister Esther McVey on Wednesday.

Last week, it was announced that the last two Remploy factories in Wales, employing about 140 people, are at risk in another round of closures.

Workers at Baglan, Neath Porth Talbot, and Porth, Rhondda, have been told they face compulsory redundancy.

BBC