One Wirral 2017 will take place on Saturday 19 August in Birkenhead Park. The event will be a celebration of everything Wirral – people, businesses, community groups and services. There will be something for everyone at this fun-filled summer festival with an array of music acts, workshops, stalls and crafters. The festival boasts 7 themed zones:
- Music Zone – Stage area hosted by Wirral Radio with a range of acts performing throughout the day
- Active Zone – Sports, Dance and Drama workshops hosted by Tranmere Rovers, 3D Theatre Arts and other local activity providers
- Community Zone – Fete-style stalls from local community groups, voluntary organisations and charities
- Craft Zone – Market-style stalls from our local crafters and artisan food sellers as well as a programme of crafty workshops
- Nostalgia Zone – An exploration into Wirral’s past hosted by Age UK Wirral
- Nature Zone – Animals, plants and outdoor activities
- Chilled Zone – Picnic space with acoustic vibes
The event has been organised by Wirral Mencap, Options for Supported Living and Wirral Evolutions with a £10,000 grant from the National Lottery. The 3 disability organisations have come together with partners from across the community sector to deliver a festival that promotes inclusion, diversity and the community connecting. Strides are being taken to make the festival as accessible as possible to all residents regardless of age, gender, race, religion, cultural views, sexuality or disability.
As well as being a great day out for the whole community, the event aims to highlight the achievements and positive contributions made to society by local people with a learning disability. Each organisation has recruited a number of representatives who will be at the centre of planning, promotion and delivery.
If you are interested in finding out more about One Wirral 2017, please visit www.onewirral.weebly.com or call Wirral Mencap on 0151 666 1829.