The Civil Service Fast Stream is a talent management programme for graduates who have the potential to become future leaders of the Civil Service.
Education, Health, Justice, Employment, Defence, Transport, Climate Change, International Development and Foreign Affairs, are just some of the areas where graduates on the Civil Service Fast Stream get to put their ideas into practice, as they work on issues that affect the entire country and beyond.
Everything about the Fast Stream is designed to help you develop the experience and skills you will need to be an effective future leader. Exactly which department, or departments, you work in will depend on a range of factors, including the particular Fast Stream you are in. We take account of personal preferences, but wherever you are based you can expect outstanding development opportunities.
More and more, Fast Streamers take on roles involving direct contact with the public. This is not only an opportunity to make a real difference, it also offers a great insight in to the wider policy-making process. You will see first hand the impacts of a policy and the effect policy can have on people’s lives. This is a leadership development programme, and responsibility comes quickly. We make sure you’re ready for it, beginning with an induction that will introduce you both to the Fast Stream and to the Civil Service, and will help set your career in context. That’s just the first step however. Civil Service Learning in partnership with Civil Service Resourcing has created a dedicated Fast Stream learning and development pathway that will cover your time as a Fast Streamer.
Our training and development package includes:
- A combination of formal training courses and on-the-job learning
- Regular feedback and performance reviews to inform your personal development
- A mentor or another Fast Streamer to support you through your development
- Time spent at learning events, e-learning, volunteering, job-shadowing and more
- The chance for supported study towards a range of professional qualifications (postgraduate certificates, CIPD, CIMA and others)
The Civil Service Fast Stream is committed to improving the delivery of public services. To do this effectively, we need to attract and retain the very best graduates from diverse communities. This means we can access a wider talent pool, achieve strong employee engagement and strengthen the link between government policy and delivery.
As an accredited ‘Two Ticks’ employer we do everything possible to support people with disabilities. And our record is strong – applicants with a disability, at selection stage, tend to out-perform those without a disability.
We are committed to:
- complying with the Equality Act and making ‘reasonable adjustments’ for staff covered by the act
- giving disabled jobholders the same opportunities to develop and progress as non-disabled jobholders
- making sure that there are no barriers to prevent disabled people achieving their full potential
- obtaining adapted aids and equipment where appropriate
- arranging reasonable adjustments where needed
- working with estate managers to make accommodation more accessible for disabled people where it is reasonable to do so
For more information on the various Fast Streams please visit www.gov.uk/faststream.