Ian Taverner is the author of Cookfulness, the cookbook designed for those living with chronic illness and pain. Every issue Ian will be contributing a delicious new recipe, complete with his unique cooking format and hints and tips to allow everyone to make tasty, nutritious meals in their own kitchen, and in their own time.
Check out the first exclusive recipe created for PosAbility’s Apr/May issue:
Potato, Broccoli and Tomato Harissa Tray Bake
Difficulty rating: ***
Cooking time: 40 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Give yourself time: 70 mins
YOU WIL NEED:
Large sauce pan
Large mixing bowl
Large shallow cooking/baking dish
Your Cookfulness music playlist!
1 small bag new potatoes
1 packet tender stem broccoli
1 cup cherry or plum tomatoes (2 good handfuls)
2 packets plain cream cheese (vegan perfect too)
½ pint milk (coconut works great too)
1 packet unsmoked bacon (leave out if vegan)
1 heaped teaspoon Harissa paste
Salt & pepper
Tortilla chips – flavour of your choice!
Grated cheese for the topping (mozzarella ideal but any soft cheese – vegan mozzarella works great)
Hints & Tips
1. Don’t overcook the potatoes or broccoli – at the initial stage undercooked is better.
2. When laying into the dish, try to keep the broccoli under the cream cheese/milk mixture to prevent burning.
3. If you are struggling with your hands, use a large slotted spoon to lift out the potatoes and broccoli from the boiling water into the baking dish, leave the water to cool to move later.
4. Crushing tortillas can be hard, so you can put in a bag (slightly opened) and gently press down if easier.
Ways to Change
- Add cooked chicken strips to the potato mix before pouring the sauce over
- Use different flavoured tortillas (but remember the Harissa has punch so careful!)
- KEY Preheat oven to 200c (180c fan)
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until just cooked (firm)
- For the last 5 mins of boiling, add the broccoli
- Drain potato and broccoli mix and set aside
- Cook the bacon how you wish (fry or oven but crispy)
- Cut the bacon into small bite sized pieces and set aside
- Lay the potatoes and broccoli into the cooking dish, spread evenly
- Scatter the bacon pieces evenly over
- Scatter the tomatoes evenly over
- Season with salt & pepper
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese, milk and Harissa paste and mix thoroughly
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes and bacon into the dish
- In your hands, crush tortilla chips over the top of the mixture to create a crumble type topping
- Sprinkle over grated cheese
- KEY Set timer for 40 minutes
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes
Read more articles here